Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Exercises in compassion.

A few days ago I noticed a ladybug crawling on my work pc monitor. I thought it was cute since I used to have an app of crawling ladybugs for my igoogle before I quit using the updated version. Yesterday I found her struggling on her back so I flipped her over. I found her today and she seemed weak so I told her I’d take her outside. I carried her to the elevator on my ID badge. When I stepped in the elevator I noticed she was no where to be found. I was disappointed I’d let her down but moved on. I went to the restroom where one does a lot of looking down at ones shoes and saw her clinging to my instep. I picked her up worrying the action may have hurt her and took her outside. I set her on a leaf and she happily latched on.

Why is it so much easier to be compassionate towards cute things? I also have an infestation of ants and stink bugs in my home. At first I could tolerate the ants and just vowed to keep the place cleaner. Now I have ants no matter what and they have lost their protected status. Stink bugs are also the most loathsome little critters I have ever encountered. I found hundreds living in my fireplace and set them on fire. Not only are they gross and stinky they are also an invasive species so I don’t feel bad about killing them.

Lona got Julia a book that teaches children to show compassion for ants. Where do you draw the line on showing compassion for inconvenient pests?

1 comment:

Gordon said...

You would make a good Jain. I've grown a lot more compassionate myself. I oppose hurting bigfoot.