Sunday, December 7, 2008

Do It Yourself Driveway Gate


When I wanted to build a driveway gate I found a paucity of instructions on how to go about it so I will detail the process. First I dug holes on each side of the driveway to sink 4x6 pressure treated posts. The posts were set in place with quick setting concrete. Use a level to make sure they are straight up. Then I ordered an adjustable gate frame from Fox home center (see http://www.foxhomecenter.com/fence/adjustagate.htm). To span a driveway you need 2 adjust-a-gates, plus 4 2x4s. The hinges and latch come with the gate. I installed the adjust-a-gate according to the instructions which was easy. It's a clever design that lets you easily get the second gate even with the first. The final step was to make it into some kind of artistic statement. I took a walk along the river and gathered interesting driftwood and also walked in our woods looking for dead mountain laurel branches. I made a frame of 1x6 horizontals with 2x4 uprights on the edges and natural wood uprights for spokes and used screws to attach everything together.
Total materials:
2 2x6 pressure treated
2 50 lb. ready mixed concrete
2 caps for the posts (optional)
6 2x4 pressure treated
4 1x6 pressure treated
14 gathered upright pieces
3 inch, 2 inch and 1 and 1/4 inch screws
Oh, and I bought a cordless drill for the work I had to do down at the end of the driveway. Other tools were a circular saw, a level and a post hole digger.

1 comment:

Lynnis said...

How useful and aesthetically pleasing! I am getting very interested in the arts and crafts movement lately and William Morris. This is a perfect example of how DIY can also be pleasing to the eye. What kind of lock will you use?