Sunday, March 4, 2018

Everyday Carry Mom Mini-Backpack


As a frequent traveler and a mother who’s constantly asked if I have a toy/snack/diaper I have come to think of packing as an art form that must be practiced and refined. Here’s what I’ve found to be my most used essentials and emergency items in my “mom bag”.
              Since I am often pushing a stroller I’ve discovered the ergonomic gains of having a little backpack instead of a purse. I’ve had this bag for almost a year and I am really impressed with the design and how well it is holding up. It is made of ribbed nylon with leather trimmings and while it’s obtained a broken-in feeling over time, the materials show no wear. I did modify it slightly to add ponytail holders to secure the excess straps from flapping. At 4 liters, or designed to hold just a 10” ipad, the size feels just right for my 5’1” frame. It also has a unique ID number to theoretically return it to the owner if found. I’d be curious to know how often that’s actually happened. Here’s my essentials I cram into it like Tetris game:
Pouch with emergency items:
a)      Tampon
b)      Bug spray wipe
c)       Panty liners
d)      Hearos soft earplugs
e)      Dog poop bag
f)        Bandaids
g)       Sunscreen (love that I found a small container to refill)
h)      Suture (really hope this never gets used but it takes no space and it feels responsible to have it living in a developing country at civil war)
i)        Sewing Kit
j)        Screen cleaning wipe
k)       Antiseptic wipe
l)        Alcohol gel
m)    Orange Tic Tacs (AKA Sad Candies…Potent medicine able to treat most problems a 3 year old will have)
n)      Medicines: Chewable kid’s Benedryl, Dramamine, Muscle Relaxer, Ibuprofen, Pepto Bismol
o)      Charging cords and Battery
p)      Hair tie
q)      Vaseline (for lips, lotion, and foot blister prevention)
For my Daughter
r)       Tiny toy
s)       Baby Wipes
t)        Diaper (even though she is potty trained it becomes an emergency potty and is used for nighttime).
u)      Spare Clothes
v)       Windbreaker (she almost never uses this but I feel obligated to carry it as I get wagging tongues from people about my daughter’s lack of weather appropriate dress all the time)
For me
w)     Foldable Hat
x)       Mini Umbrella
y)       Matador Hip Pack (most of the time I wear it with wallet, keys, and phone when I’m by myself and don’t require the whole kit and caboodle).
z)       Rab Windveil Windbreaker
aa)   Pen
bb)  Keys with Swiss army knife
cc)    Boker Money clip knife (not that great at actually holding money)
dd)  Wallet made out of the baggie for a nylon grocery bag which holds chapstick, change, and a few “sad candies” too).
ee)   Same bag with a real grocery bag in it (EquinoxTortrix bag)
ff)     Matador mini pocket blanket, I often carry the full sized version as well but the yoga mat would have to stay home.
gg)   Lemfo wireless headphones (these are the first comfortable earbuds for my small ears because they are smaller for the Asian market)
ii)       Snacks
jj)       Notebook
ll)       Travel yoga mat I cut into two pieces, carrying the smaller one which just fits me in tabletop pose on my hands and knees.
mmSewing clip no shown (often used as money clip)
nn)  Phone not shown



No comments: